Descale the machine when the Calc-Clean indicator goes on.
How to descale
1. Mix 50 grams of citric acid with 1 litre of water in a measuring jug. Stir until the powder is completely dissolved.
2. Remove the water reservoir.
3. Take the Calc-Clean tool out of the recess in the back of the machine.
4. Remove the milk reservoir unit from the machine.
5. Insert the Calc-Clean tool into the coffee spout.
Note: Push the Calc-Clean tool into the machine until it locks into position with a click.
6. Push down the milk container lever.
Fill the water reservoir up to the MAX indication with the descaler mixture. Then put the water reservoir back into the coffee machine.
Press the on/off button. The machine is ready for use when the indicator light is on continuously.
9. Place the 1-cup pod holder in the coffee machine. Close the lid and make sure it is properly locked.
Note: Always put a used coffee pod in the pod holder when you descale the machine. This pod serves as a ‘filter’ to prevent the sieve in the pod holder from getting clogged with scale residue.
10. Put a bowl with a capacity of at least 1.5 litres under the spout to collect the descaling mixture.
11. Press the Calc-Clean button to start the descaling program. During the descaling program, the machine pauses a few times to remove scale deposits from the inside of the SENSEO® machine.
During the descaling program, the indicators on the control panel on the lid light up sequentially to indicate that the machine is descaling. The descaling program takes about 35 minutes. When the descaling program is finished, the Calc-Clean indicator flashes rapidly.
Warning: Never interrupt the descaling process! Warning: Never descale the SENSEO® coffee machine with the lid open. Make sure the lid is properly locked.
12. Empty the water reservoir, rinse it and fill it with fresh water.
Caution: Do not refill the water reservoir with used hot water or the used descaling mixture.
13. Press the Calc-Clean button to rinse the machine.
Note: The rinsing process takes a few minutes.
14. Remove the pod from the pod holder and clean the pod holder to prevent the sieve in the centre from getting clogged.
15. Rinse the machine a second time by repeating steps 12 and 13.
16. Remove the Calc-Clean tool from the coffee spout. Reinsert the Calc-Clean tool into the recess in the back of the machine. The descaling procedure is now finished and the machine is ready to brew coffee again.